Showing 3 results


Hafford Hospital

  • SCAA-UCCS-0160
  • Corporate body
  • ca.1922–1941

Hafford Hospital was first built around 1922, by the Missionary Society of the Methodist Church. The first superintendent was the Rev. G. Dorey, who would later become Moderator of the United Church of Canada (successor to the Methodist Church in Canada). Dr. S.M. Scott was the first doctor to serve the hospital, followed by Dr. Rose, who was later joined by Dr. Paulson. The Hafford Hospital Ladies Aid Society, formed 1924, was involved in raising money to support hospital activities. After financial difficulties in the 1930s, the hospital was eventually closed, in 1941, due to lack of funds.

In 1946, the R.M. of Redberry and the Village of Hafford bought the building and its equipment from the Missionary Society, then re-opened it as the Hafford Union Hospital.

Smeaton Hospital

  • SCAA-UCCS-0161
  • Corporate body
  • ca.1933–1951

The first Smeaton Hospital was built ca.1933, by the United Church Woman's Missionary Society (W.M.S.). It opened with 10 beds and was described as a frame two-story building, 32'x40' with a full basement. Furniture and equipment was provided from various sources, including the Battleford School Home. In 1951, after the opening of the new Smeaton Union Hospital, the W.M.S. Hospital was closed and converted into a United Church.

Hospital personnel, over the years, included: Miss Mary Clark, sent by the W.M.S. (1949-?).

Wakaw Hospital [Anna Turnbull Hospital]

  • SCAA-UCCS-0162
  • Corporate body
  • 1906–1942

The first hospital at Wakaw was built around 1906, sponsored by the [Presbyterian] Board of Women's Home Missionary Society, to serve the immigrants settled around Wakaw Lake (near the Geneva Mission, served by Rev. and Mrs. Arthur). It was named the Anna Turnbull Memorial Hospital, in honour of a local pastor's late wife. In 1911, a larger new building was constructed nearby for hospital activities and the old building was re-purposed to contain staff quarters and supplies storage.

In December 1942, the hospital was closed and the W.M.S. sold its contents and building (which was disassembled). The last doctor assigned there, Dr. R.G. Scott, retired in 1943 and was honoured by the Woman's Missionary Society, Saskatchewan Conference. The W.M.S. hospital would later be succeeded by the Dr. Scott Memorial Hospital, which opened in 1947.