Showing 9441 results

Names

Hone, John Ramsey McGregor, 1920-2007 (artist, teacher)

  • Person

Mary Elizabeth ("Beth") Springer Hone was born in 1918 in Halkirk, Alberta. She attended Saskatoon Normal School (1936) and received her BA from the University of Toronto (1941). During 1958-1959 studied ceramics at the School of Art in Farnham, England. She taught school in Saskatchewan and British Columbia prior to joining the Regina College School of Art extension program as a ceramics instructor, where she taught from 1959-1966. In 1968 she and Ann James established the Hone-James Studio in Regina, which they ran successfully until 1973 when their partnership was dissolved. She works with stoneware, porcelain, batik, and ceramic sculpture. John Ramsey McGregor ("Mac") Hone was born in 1920 in Prince Albert, Saskatchewan. He was a participant in the early Emma Lake Art Schools, and studied with Gus Kenderdine, Ernest Lindner, Jack Shadboldt, and Will Barnet. He received a BA (1941) from the University of Saskatchewan, and from 1958-1959 studied at the Central School of Arts and Crafts in London, England. He taught school in Saskatchewan and British Columbia from 1947-1979; during the 1950s he also taught art class in Moose Jaw for the University of Saskatchewan (Regina Campus). From 1976-1981 he served on the Minister's Committee on the Fine Arts in Education. His artworks included serigraph, woodcut, wood engraving, watercolour, oil, acrylic, photography, and sculpture. Mac died in 2007. Both Mac and Beth Hone have had their work shown extensively in solo and group exhibitions.

Dewar, John Duncan, 1932-

  • Person

John Duncan Dewar was born on 7 March 1932 in Sexsmith, Alberta. Graduating with a Bachelor of Education in Physical Education from the University of Alberta in 1955 he went on to earn a Master of Arts from the University of Ohio in 1960 and a Doctor of Education from the Florida State University in 1965. A former member of the University of Alberta Golden Bears basketball team, Dewar accepted the position of Athletic Director and Coach at the University of Saskatchewan for the 1960-61 academic year. He next moved to the University of Alberta, Calgary, where he was Assistant Professor of Physical Education, Men's Athletic Coordinator and Basketball Coach from 1961 until 1967. The next two years found him serving as Associate Professor and Director of Physical Education at St. Francis Xavier University, Antigonish, Nova Scotia. In 1969 Dr. Dewar joined the faculty of Laurentian University, Sudbury, Ontario. Over the next eight years he held a variety of academic and administrative positions, including: Full Professor and Dean of the Division of Physical Education, Associate Dean of Professional Schools, Acting Director of the School of Social Work, Head Administor of the School of Nursing and Acting Director of the School of Commerce. In 1977 Dewar returned to the University of Saskatchewan as Professor and Dean of the College of Physical Education. He remained Dean until 1986 and continued on faculty as Full Professor until his retirement in 1996, becoming Professor Emeritus. The bulk of Dr. Dewar's scholarly work relates to the study of sports history. Research and publications include works dealing with Dr. James Naismith, the Edmonton Grads, the Olympics, Indigenous athletes and athletics and residential schools. Dewar was member of several local, national and international societies and organizations and served on the editorial board or as a reader for several Saskatchewan sports history groups.

Justice Webb and Vincent Landscape Architects Ltd., 1951-1985.

  • Corporate body

Desmond Muirhead & Associates, the first Vancouver-based firm to specialize in landscape architecture, was formed in 1951.The firm was joined by landscape architect Clive Justice in 1953 and by artist Harry J. Webb in 1955. The firm's name was changed to Muirhead & Justice Landscape Architects, and later, after Muirhead left the company in the 1960s, to Justice & Webb Landscape Architects. John Vincent joined the company in the late 1970s, after which the company's name was changed to Justice, Webb & Vincent Landscape Architects. The company designed mainly single family gardens and landscapes until the mid-1950s, when it began gradually to include such projects as sites for swimming pools, cabanas and similar structures, municipal parks, school grounds, public buildings and streets, commercial areas and townhouses. In the mid-1960s the firm also began a long involvement in the design and development of standards for landscapes on concrete slabs over underground parking for apartment blocks and towers in Vancouver's West End, Kerrisdale and Oakridge. Some of the firm's notable projects included Park and Tilford Gardens in North Vancouver, the University of British Columbia's Botanical Gardens, the University of Saskatchewan grounds, the Van Dusen Gardens, the Workers' Compensation Board office in Richmond, and parts of Oakridge Mall. The firm was dissolved in October, 1985. Desmond Muirhead & Associates, the first Vancouver-based firm to specialize in landscape architecture, was formed in 1951.The firm was joined by landscape architect Clive Justice in 1953 and by artist Harry J. Webb in 1955. The firm's name was changed to Muirhead & Justice Landscape Architects, and later, after Muirhead left the company in the 1960s, to Justice & Webb Landscape Architects. John Vincent joined the company in the late 1970s, after which the company's name was changed to Justice, Webb & Vincent Landscape Architects. The company designed mainly single family gardens and landscapes until the mid-1950s, when it began gradually to include such projects as sites for swimming pools, cabanas and similar structures, municipal parks, school grounds, public buildings and streets, commercial areas and townhouses. In the mid-1960s the firm also began a long involvement in the design and development of standards for landscapes on concrete slabs over underground parking for apartment blocks and towers in Vancouver's West End, Kerrisdale and Oakridge. Some of the firm's notable projects included Park and Tilford Gardens in North Vancouver, the University of British Columbia's Botanical Gardens, the University of Saskatchewan grounds, the Van Dusen Gardens, the Workers' Compensation Board office in Richmond, and parts of Oakridge Mall. The firm was dissolved in October, 1985.

Makahonuk, Glen Richard, 1951-1997

  • Person

Born on 15 September 1951, Glen Richard Makahonuk was raised, educated and employed in Saskatoon. He earned a B.Comm. in 1973 specializing in industrial relations and general business. The following year he completed a B.A. in history and in 1977 convocated with a M.A. Labour history in western Canada became a lifelong passion. His thesis Labour Relations in the Saskatchewan Coal Mines during the 1930's marked the beginning of an extensive investigation into a previously neglected field of study. In 1978 he began working as the senior library assistant in the Library's Special Collections department. In addition to his notoriety as a labour historian, Makahonuk was a well known labour and social activist. His involvement with the University CUPE Local 1975 was immediate, eventually serving as serving as President, Vice-President, and the chair of several committees. As time progressed so did the scope of his union activity. He was elected CUPE Saskatchewan President, CUPE National Regional Vice President (Saskatchewan) and General Vice President (Saskatchewan and Manitoba). Makahonuk was also a familiar presence on picket lines, supporting locked-out and striking workers and protesting social program cutbacks. He balanced his work for the rank and file with his advocacy for greater union democracy with his belief in social unionism and the promotion of a greater social role for the labour movement. He had been recently re-elected Regional VP CUPE National when he was diagnosed in November of 1997 with an inoperable brain tumour. He died 10 December 1997.

Kozakew, Mike

  • Person

Mike Kozakew exhibited films in Ituna, Saskatchewan, and the surrounding area.

Pavlychenko, Thomas Karp, 1892-1958 (Professor of Agriculture and Slavic Studies; alumnus)

  • Person

Thomas Karp Pavlychenko was born in the Ukraine in 1892, and studied at the Pedagogical Institute, the College of Agriculture Kamentz-Podilskiy, and the University of Prague, Czechoslovakia, prior to coming to Canada in 1927. In 1932 he received his MA. in Agriculture from the University of Saskatchewan. He continued his post-graduate education at the University of Nebraska, receiving his Ph.D. in 1940. From 1930-1937 he worked as a weed experimentalist for the National Research Council. In 1938 he established the first Department of Plant Ecology in Canada at the University of Saskatchewan, and served as head that department for 10 years. He was also the first professor of Ukrainian descent in Canada, and the courses in Ukrainian which he gave resulted in the establishment of the Department of Slavic Studies. Dr. Pavlychenko left the University in 1948 to accept a research position with the American Chemical Paint Company. He died on 6 August 1958 at the age of 66.

CPR

  • Corporate body
Results 1 to 15 of 9441