Title and statement of responsibility area
Assiniboia Presbytery fonds
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Variations in title: Previously identified as Assiniboia Presbytery sub-series (A.381.XI.D.4).
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- United Church of Canada Assiniboia Presbytery
Physical description area
17.9 cm of textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Assiniboia Presbytery was one of the original 16 presbyteries established by the first General Council of the United Church of Canada (June 1925), to be part of the new Saskatchewan Conference. Initial boundaries were based on the previous Assiniboia Presbytery, which had been part of the Presbyterian Synod of Saskatchewan.
The presbytery was divided and recreated several times, over the years. In 1926, it was split into Assiniboia Presbytery and the new Shaunavon Presbytery. In 1951, the two were reunited under the original name Assiniboia Presbytery. In 1959, the presbytery was divided along Highway 19: the western part was combined with Swift Current Presbytery, to become Cypress Hills Presbytery, and the eastern part was amalgamated with Weyburn Presbytery, under the name Assiniboia Presbytery.
In 1973, Assiniboia Presbytery was dissolved and its pastoral charges were divided between Moose Jaw Presbytery and Arcola-Estevan Presbytery (which became the new Souris Valley Presbytery).
Most records in the fonds were likely transferred to the archives between 1925 and 1986. Their original provenance is unclear, though administrative and committee records may have come directly from presbytery secretaries, committee members, delegates or other associated individuals.
Scope and content
The fonds consists of textual materials generated by Assiniboia Presbytery, its secretaries, committees and related bodies, in fulfillment of their responsibilities, as outlined in the Manual of the United Church of Canada.
Contents include: meeting minutes (1925-1973); presbytery dissolution documents (1973); statistics and treasurer’s records; records of candidates for ministry; a historical sketch of Assiniboia Presbytery (1925-1932); and a history of the United Church Women’s Association of Assiniboia Presbytery (1901-1961).
Immediate source of acquisition
Original order for many of these records is unclear. Items listed under A.381.XI.D.4 were arranged sometime before 1990.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Microfilm copy of some records also available.
Restrictions on access
Some records may be restricted, to protect personal information.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Use, publication, and/or reproduction of records are subject to the conditions of the Copyright Act. Please consult archivist for assistance.
GS-168 includes original file and series listings, in sections A.381.XI.D.4. Additional microfilm contents listed in finding aid IR-12.
Uploaded finding aid
No further accruals are expected.
Box numbers (orange label): 77, 86, 90;
Box numbers (pink label): 4046
Textual records: A.381.XI.D.4.1 to 8; A.923.SA.2410 to SA.2412