Fonds - Athol Murray College of Notre Dame fonds

Father Athol Murray Father Athol Murray and friends Testimonial Dinner - Guests Athol Murray in Newfoundland Athol Murray with King Faisal Father Athol Murray - Prayer Card Father Athol Murray Father Athol Murray in uniform Father Athol Murray Father Athol Murray with servicemen Father Athol Murray Father Athol Murray Father Athol Murray Father Athol Murray Father Athol Murray with Ernie Franks
Results 1 to 15 of 78 Show all

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Athol Murray College of Notre Dame fonds

General material designation

  • Multiple media

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description


Reference code

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area


  • 1920-2001 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

28 m of textual records and other material

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator


Administrative history

In 1920 the Sisters of Charity of St. Louis and the St. Augustine parish priest Father Benoit opened Notre Dame of the Prairies, an elementary residential Convent school for boys and girls, in Wilcox, Saskatchewan. In 1927, Father Athol Murray the newly appointed St. Augustine parish priest, began the high school program at the school. Sister Mary Edith McCullough also arrived at the school in 1927 and remained to teach for over 30 years. Father Murray became the college administrator and taught the school's Arts program, obtaining an official affiliation with the University of Ottawa in 1933. Mother Edith and the Sisters of Charity of St. Louis ran the elementary and other high school programs. Over the decades the school was renamed Notre Dame of Canada, Notre Dame of Saskatchewan, and was informally known as "Shack College." The school has remained a catholic co ed residential school but now offers only high school grades 9 to 12. Upon Father Murray's death in 1975 the college was officially renamed the Athol Murray College of Notre Dame.

Name of creator

Administrative history

Name of creator

Administrative history

Name of creator

Administrative history

Custodial history

Scope and content

This fonds contains records related to the development and operation of the Athol Murray College of Notre Dame. Textual records consist of correspondence, business records concerning the Arts program, alumni records, newsclippings, and college publications and brochures. The extensive series of photographs and video recordings document college life and feature campus buildings, students, graduation ceremonies, choral and drama productions, and sports events. Sound recordings capture interviews with Notre Dame students and staff, and College songs.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition


Records relating to Notre Dame college and personal records of Father Athol Murray were mixed together in his office. These records have been arranged by the Archivist.

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Reference copies of video and sound recordings are available.

Restrictions on access

There are no restrictions on access.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Finding aids at file and item level, including an item level photo database are available.

Associated materials

Related material: See the Athol Murray fonds for additional records related to Notre Dame College. The Notre Dame College Museum holds artifacts, furniture and works of art collected and used in the school.

Related materials


Additional records are received annually.

General note

Includes ca. 25,000 photographs and slides, 23 photo albums, 101 video cassettes, and 23 audiocassettes.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Accession area