Title and statement of responsibility area
Canora, Invermay, Pelly, Norquay Pastoral Charges fonds
General material designation
- Textual record
- Graphic material
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
1.4 metres (approx.) of textual records
7 photographs: prints
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Canora Pastoral Charge was formed as a United Church in 1925, part of Kamsack Presbytery. As of 1940, additional appointments at Mikado, Pretty Valley and Verigin were included.
In the 1950s, the charge joined with Invermay to form Canora-Invermay Pastoral Charge. (Invermay had been formed as a Mission Field in 1925, in Kamsack Presbytery.) Preaching points included St. Andrew's United Church (Canora), Invermay, Buchanan, and Margo. Hampton also joined, around 1964. Margo closed June 20, 1991, and Buchanan June 30, 1991. On May 1, 2003, the charge amalgamated with Pelly Pastoral Charge, to form the new Canora-Norquay-Pelly Pastoral Charge. The preaching point at Invermay closed, on June 30, 2003.
On January 1, 2012, Canora-Norquay-Pelly dissolved and the three points were reorganized into separate charges, including Canora Pastoral Charge.
Name of creator
Canora Ruthenian (later Ukranian) Pastoral Charge was formed as an augmented United Church charge in 1925, part of Kamsack Presbytery and consisting of appointments at Canora (St. Stephen's), Gorlitz, Rhein, Hyas, Hampton, Norquay, and White Sands. By 1940, Hyas had moved to Pelly Pastoral Charge and points at Bear Stream, Danbury, Glen Elder, Kamsack, and Rama had been added. As of 1962, only St. Stephen's (Canora), Gorlitz and Swan Plain remained in the charge -- which appears to have closed around 1964.
Name of creator
The charge was created May 1, 2003, from the amalgamation of Canora-Invermay Pastoral Charge and Pelly Pastoral Charge. The preaching point at Invermay closed, on June 30, 2003.
On January 1, 2012, Canora-Norquay-Pelly dissolved and the three points were reorganized into separate charges, Canora Pastoral Charge, Norquay Pastoral Charge and Pelly Pastoral Charge.
Name of creator
Pelly Pastoral Charge was formed as a new United Church charge in 1925, part of Kamsack Presbytery. It initially included Pelly, Norquay, Maloneck, Arran, Melmore and Sunny Isles. As of 1940, the charge consisted of Pelly, Hyas, Arran, Norquay and Stenen, but this changed by 1946, with Belleau Book, Mellmore, Millroad, and Moss Side added, and Stenen-Hyas moved to Preeceville. By 1951, it had been renamed Pelly-Malonek Pastoral Charge, with points at Pelly, Malonek, Hyas, Norquay, and Watson Creek. Between the late-1950s and early 1960s, Pelly Pastoral Charge added Grantsville (from ca.1960), alongside Malonek, Norquay and Pelly. Swan Plain also joined the charge, around 1965, where it remained until the church closed, in 1989. As of 1990, the charge contained only Pelly, Maloneck and Norquay. The church at Maloneck officially closed December 31, 2001.
On May 1, 2003, the charge amalgamated with Canora-Invermay Pastoral Charge to create the new Canora-Norquay-Pelly Pastoral Charge. The preaching point at Invermay closed, on June 30, 2003.
On January 1, 2012, Canora-Norquay-Pelly dissolved and the three points were reorganized into separate charges, including Pelly Pastoral Charge.
Original provenance for many of the records in the fonds is unclear. Initial items were transferred to the archives between 1925 and 1986. Additions were received by Saskatchewan Conference between ca.1990 and 2013.
Scope and content
The fonds consists of records generated by several associated churches and their varying governing pastoral charges: Canora Pastoral Charge, Canora (Ukrainian) Pastoral Charge, Invermay Pastoral Charge, Canora-Invermay Pastoral Charge, Invermay-Margo Pastoral Charge, Pelly Pastoral Charge, Pelly-Malonek Pastoral Charge, and Canora-Norquay-Pelly Pastoral Charge, as well as predecessors and constituent churches – their boards, committees and related bodies, and local women’s units.
Contents include: minutes of church boards, councils, stewards, session, and congregational meetings; records from local Ladies Aid Societies, Women’s Missionary Society (W.M.S.), and United Church Women (U.C.W.) groups; Sunday School, church choir and youth group records; historic rolls, communion rolls, and related membership records; some financial records, correspondence and annual reports; Home Mission Record Books from Grantsville and Norquay areas; church registers from Invermay, Margo, Hampton, St. Andrew’s (Canora), St. Stephen’s Ukrainian (Canora), Gorlitz, Buchanan, Belleau Brook, Maloneck, Pelly, and nearby area(s). There area also 7 photographic prints from Canora.
Immediate source of acquisition
Original order for many of these records is unclear. Items under A.381.XV.A and A.381.XV.B were arranged and listed as local church records sometime before 1990, with further batches (under XV.SA, and XV.SC) added around 1993, 2004, 2009 and 2013. The fonds was created in 2023, based on historical relationships between the charges, records previously listed and any new accruals.
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script note
Some records are written in Ukrainian (A.1078.XV.SC.11).
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Some records are restricted, to protect personal information.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Use, publication, and/or reproduction of records are subject to the conditions of the Copyright Act. Church registers may not be photographed, scanned or otherwise copied without written permission from the Regional Council. Please consult archivist for assistance.
GS-168 includes original file listings.
Uploaded finding aid
Related church minister's register (A.1078.XV.SC.12) included in John Gregorash fonds.
Further accruals are expected.
Textual records: A.381.XV.A.500 to A.503, A.552 to A.562, A.1323 to A.1325, A.1389, A.1506 to A.1511, A.2569, A.2719, A.4586, A.4606, A.4682 to A.4685; A.381.XV.B.26 to B.27; A.817.XV.SA.1594 to SA.1599; A.923.XV.SA.4047 to SA.4048, SA.4577, SA.4584; A.1078.XV.SC.8 to SC.11, SC.95 to SC.102, SC.555 to SC.557; A.1084.XV.SC.708 to SC.714, SC.716 to SC.751, SC.983 to SC.1008, SC.1045; A.1094.XV.SC.1699, SC.1226 to SC.1228, SC.1297 to SC.1298; A.1107.XV.SC.1778 to SC.1786;
Photographs: A.1094.XV.SC.1228.1 to 7