Fonds RG 2083 - College of Engineering Dean's Office fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

College of Engineering Dean's Office fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description


Reference code

RG 2083

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area


  • 1914-1995 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

18.25 m of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator


Administrative history

The College of Engineering began with a small Department of Agricultural Engineering within the College of Agriculture in 1910. Civil Engineering classes were taught within the College of Arts and Science in 1912; a School of Engineering was established within the College one year later. The School "closed for the duration" in 1916 when the professor and all six students enlisted for war service. The School reopened in 1920 and obtained College status the following year. The Department of Agricultural Engineering became part of the College in 1924. In addition to offering a 4-year professional degree (Bachelor of Engineering), the College offers a graduate program and operates joint programs with several other departments. The following individuals have served as Dean: C.J. Mackenzie (1921-1943); R.A. Spencer [Acting] (1943-1944); R.A. Spencer (1944-1953); I.M. Fraser (1953-1958); A. Porter (1958-1961); J.B. Mawdsley (1961-1963); A.B. Booth (1963-1972); W.R. Staples [Acting] (1972-1974); P. Nikiforuk (1974- ).

Custodial history

Scope and content

This fonds contains material relating to the research work, students, faculty and administration of the College of Engineering and its departments. Included is material relating to professional engineering societies; the Engineering Institute of Canada; the Association of Professional Engineers of Canada; the American Society fro Testing Materials; records relating to government commissions; and material relating to the expansion of the engineering building.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition


Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Personal material relating to faculty, staff, and students is restricted.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Finding aids available: by series, with file title lists.

Associated materials

Related materials


Further accruals expected.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Place access points

Genre access points

Control area

Accession area