Title and statement of responsibility area
Cooperating Committee of Saskatchewan fonds
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Variations in title: Previously identified as Local Unions, Methodist-Presbyterian Cooperative Work sub-series (A.381.VIII.A.1 to 14).
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Cooperating Committee of Saskatchewan
Physical description area
6.7 cm of textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Cooperating committee of Saskatchewan was formed when representatives of the Presbyterian and Methodist Churches met at Regina, May 2, 1911, in order to facilitate cooperative activity in various localities in Saskatchewan. The formation of this Committee paralleled a similar action taken at the national level by the Presbyterian, Methodist and Congregational Churches. After mid-1923, this committee was called the Provincial Committee on Co-operation.
Records in the fonds were likely transferred to the archives between 1925 and 1986. Their original provenance is unclear. They may have been assembled by different individuals, at different times, before being added to the Conference Archives.
From 1925 through to 1982, the official repository for Conference, Presbytery and local records of the United Church in Saskatchewan was at St. Andrew’s College (Saskatoon). In 1982, the Conference signed an agreement to house their records with the Saskatchewan Archives Board (later Provincial Archives of Saskatchewan), while still retaining ownership and management responsibilities. The collections were gradually relocated and continue to be stored with the Provincial Archives, to the present day.
Scope and content
The fonds consists of textual materials created by and relating to the Methodist-Presbyterian Cooperating Committee of Saskatchewan (later the Provincial Committee on Cooperation), its committees and related individuals and bodies.
Contents include: minutes of the Cooperating Committee of Saskatchewan (1911-1925); various Local Cooperating Committees minutes (1920-1925), possibly collected by/for the Cooperating Committee of Saskatchewan; publications and articles regarding cooperating and union churches, in Saskatchewan and elsewhere in Canada (1911-1922). There are also files of correspondence, relating to Local Unions in Balgonie and Trevarga (1913-1914), Yellow Grass (1917), and other locations (1921-1925), as well as signed agreements and lists relating to united charges at Fillmore, Manor, Nokomis, Rokeby, Saltcoats and Sintaluta (1921) and double-affiliation charges at Bladworth, Briercrest, Carlyle, Drinkwater, Dundurn, Fillmore-Osage, Girvin, Hawarden, Sceptre, Viscount, Willmar and Wapella (1920-1925).
Immediate source of acquisition
Original order for many of these records is unclear. Items listed under A.381.VIII.A were arranged sometime before 1990.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Use, publication, and/or reproduction of records are subject to the conditions of the Copyright Act. Please consult archivist for assistance.
GS-168 includes original file and series listings, in sections A.381.VIII.A.
Uploaded finding aid
Textual records: A.381.VIII.A.1 to 14