Fonds MJ-058 - Farewell School District No. 273 fonds

Original Digital object not accessible

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Farewell School District No. 273 fonds

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description


Reference code


Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area


Physical description area

Physical description

14.5 cm of textual records.

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator


Administrative history

On Friday, May 12, 1893 the residents south and west of the present site of Tuxford met at the home of John Wesley Astleford to discuss the formation of a new school district. The first trustees of the Farewell (also spelled Fairwell) School were Lawrence B. King, William Spence and Joseph Astleford. The school was built on the NW corner of the SE quarter of Section 34 Township 18 Range 27. In 1903 the school was moved to the NE corner of Section 2 Township 19 Range 27 nearer to the centre of the school district. The first teacher hired is unknown. Other early teachers were Mr. V.J. McWilliams (1899), Elbert J. Whitman (1904), Brenda C. Melville (1907), Lorne MacEown (1910), Jean Omand (1911). The children from Tuxford attended Farewell School until Tuxford School opened in 1909. There became a shortage of school aged children in the Farewell district and the school was forced to close. Some of the students went to Marquis and some to Tuxford. The district was not terminated and no taxes were paid. On March 30, 1920 the Farewell School District dissolved.

Custodial history

Scope and content

This fonds consists of a ratepayers assessment roll for the years 1904-1912, financial records consisting of receipts, cheques 1895-1920 and a bank book for the years 1908-1916, and the secretary-treasurer's files consisting of correspondence, reports, contracts, and financial papers, from the years 1893-1917.

Notes area

Physical condition

The assessment roll book is tattered and very brittle. The outer covers are missing.

Immediate source of acquisition

Accession number 58.BA donated to the archives by unknown.


Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Finding aid and file list available. See attached finding aid.

Associated materials

Related materials


No further accruals expected.


This fonds was re boxed and foldered in 2004.

Location note

Boxes V 31, H-33

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Digital object (Master) rights area

Digital object (Reference) rights area

Digital object (Thumbnail) rights area

Accession area

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres