Title and statement of responsibility area
Kindersley Presbytery fonds
General material designation
- Multiple media
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Variations in title: Previously identified as Kindersley Presbytery sub-series (A.381.XI.D.10).
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- United Church of Canada Kindersley Presbytery
Physical description area
8.7 cm (approx.) textual records and cartographic materials [1 map]
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Kindersley Presbytery was one of the original 16 presbyteries established by the first General Council of the United Church of Canada (June 1925), to be part of the new Saskatchewan Conference. Initial boundaries were based on the previous Kindersley Presbytery, which had been part of the Presbyterian Synod of Saskatchewan. Prior to Union, in 1925, there had also been a Kindersley District, in the Saskatchewan Conference of the Methodist Church.
In 1926, Kindersley Presbytery was divided, with part of it creating the new Elrose Presbytery. The two reunited in 1949, amalgamating to become Rosetown Presbytery.
Most records in the fonds were likely transferred to the archives between 1925 and 1986. Their original provenance is unclear, though administrative and committee records may have come directly from presbytery secretaries, committee members, delegates or other associated individuals.
From 1925 through to 1982, the official repository for Conference, Presbytery and local records of the United Church in Saskatchewan was at St. Andrew’s College (Saskatoon). In 1982, the Conference signed an agreement to house their records with the Saskatchewan Archives Board (later Provincial Archives of Saskatchewan), while still retaining ownership and management responsibilities. The collections were gradually relocated and continue to be stored with the Provincial Archives, to the present day.
Scope and content
The fonds consists of textual materials generated by the Presbytery, its secretaries, committees and related bodies, in fulfillment of their responsibilities, as outlined in the Manual of the United Church of Canada.
Contents include: minutes (1925-1949); correspondence; a treasurer’s book; and a map, showing schools, railway lines and rural municipalities (date unknown).
Immediate source of acquisition
Original order for many of these records is unclear. Items listed under A.381.XI.D.10 were arranged sometime before 1990.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Microfilm copy of some records available for viewing at the Provincial Archives of Saskatchewan (microfilm reference number R.10).
Restrictions on access
Some records are restricted, to protect personal information.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Use, publication, and/or reproduction of records are subject to the conditions of the Copyright Act. Please consult archivist for assistance.
GS-168 includes original file and series listings, in sections A.381.XI.D.10 and A.923.SA.2100. Additional microfilm contents listed in finding aid IR-12.
Uploaded finding aid
No further accruals are expected.