Title and statement of responsibility area
Regina General Hospital School of Nursing fonds
Algemene aanduiding van het materiaal
- Multiple media
Title statements of responsibility
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
1916-1987, predominant 1930-1972 (Vervaardig)
- Regina General Hospital School of Nursing
- Regina (Sask.)
1916-1987, predominant 1930-1972 (Vervaardig)
3.0 m of textual records and other material
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Naam van de archiefvormer
Nursing education in Regina commenced in 1902 at the Regina Victoria Hospital. Three students were accepted to the Training School for Nurses that first year, with one receiving her diploma in 1904. The first complete class was graduated in 1906. In 1907, the hospital was taken over by the City of Regina, and was renamed the Regina General Hospital. The nursing school continued under the new management as the Regina General Hospital School of Nursing. On 21 February 1916, the Teaching Council of the School of Nursing was founded. Consisting of the Medical Superintendent, Superintendent of Nurses, and Medical Staff and other staff of the hospital actively engaged in teaching the students, the Teaching Council regulated the instruction and examination of students and made recommendations on the granting of diplomas and awards. The 3-year program combining classroom instruction and practical work on the wards, where the students provided most of the nursing care, was conducted with only minor changes for almost fifty years. Under the regulation of the provincial Department of Health attempts were made to centralize nursing education during the 1950s and 1960s. In 1966 responsibility for nursing education was moved to the Department of Education and provincial technical institutes began to offer nursing as a 2-year program. In 1971, Regina General Hospital began to phase out its own nursing program, and nursing education was transferred to the Institute of Applied Arts and Sciences in Regina. The last class to graduate from the Regina General Hospital School of Nursing did so in July 1972. During the school's history, more than 2,700 nurses were graduated.
The following individuals have served as Superintendent or Director of Nursing: Elizabeth Chalmers (1903-1909), Elsie Clearihue (1910-1912), E.M. Turner (1913-1915), R.E. Wass (Acting 1916), J.R. Reckie (1917-1918), M.J. Fraser, (1919-1921) M.B. Garrow (1922), S.I. McKinnon (1923-1925), E.I. Smith (1926-1927), S. Sanderson (1928), K.M. Ross (1929), V. Pearson (1930-1931), Helen B. Smith (1932-1934), Annie F. Lawrie (1935-1943), B.C. Reierson (Acting, 1944), M.E. Thompson (1945-1959), J. Goodhind, (Associate Director, Nursing Education, 1960-1962), L.M. Scorer (1963-1965), M.E. Magdalin (1966), Eleanor Linnell (Director, Nursing Education, 1964-1967, 1968-1972), and Isobel Colvin (Administrator, Patient Care, 1967-1972).
Bereik en inhoud
Fonds consists of records documenting the history and administration of the Regina General Hospital School of Nursing, and the experiences of nursing students. Fonds includes correspondence; handbooks and brochures; aims and objectives, hospital procedures, and professional code of ethics; student files; educational material; graduation exercises and invitations; and memorabilia from the closing of the School of Nursing. Fonds also includes historical essays; biographies of Elizabeth Chalmer Van Valkenburg, Lily Bristow and Ruby Simpson; yearbooks; newspaper clippings, including obituaries of alumna and staff. In addition, fonds contains photographs depicting the hospital and Nurses' Residence, graduation exercises, nursing students, patients, hospital staff, family and friends; and teaching slides. Lastly, fonds includes records of the Teaching Council of the Regina General Hospital School of Nursing, including minutes, correspondence, constitution and bylaws, reports, teaching rosters, policies and regulations; and records of the Glee Club including members lists, conductor's notes, music library inventory, concert programs, sheet music, song books, and musical scripts.
Directe bron van verwerving
Fonds has been arranged by the Archives.
Taal van het materiaal
Schrift van het materiaal
Plaats van originelen
Beschikbaarheid in andere opslagformaten
Restrictions on access
Access to the Student Records series is restricted in accordance with provincial privacy legislation and Regina Qu'Appelle Health Region policy.
Termen voor gebruik, reproductie en publicatie.
Some photographs may be subject to copyright restrictions. See item level descriptions
A descriptive inventory is available. Item level descriptions of photographs are available on the Photograph Database.
Related material: Other records relating to the Regina General Hospital School of Nursing and the experiences of nursing students may be found in the Regina General Hospital Photograph Collection, and in the private fonds of nursing alumnae Lesley Weston Ellis, Edna Carson Korpan, Lynn McRorie Robertson, Nora Kitchen Eddy, and Eleanor Linnell.
Associated material: Other records of the Regina General Hospital School of Nursing, may be found at the Saskatchewan Archives Board, Regina Office, collection R-132
No further accruals are expected.
Fonds includes ca. 957 slides (glass lantern and 35 mm) : b&w and col. ; 8.2 x 10.2 cm or smaller. -- 234 photographs : b&w and col. ; 25.2 x 25.3 cm or smaller. -- 29 films : col. ; 35 mm. -- 1 negative : col. ; 6.1 x 8.9 cm. -- 2 artefacts
1999.79-2638 to 2666, 1999.80, 1999.81
Standard number area
- Regina General Hospital (Onderwerp)