Title and statement of responsibility area
Regina Grey Nuns' Hospital fonds
General material designation
- Multiple media
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Regina Grey Nuns' Hospital
- Regina (Sask.)
Physical description area
ca. 2.2 m. of textual records
54 sound reels
50 photographs : b&w ; 25.6 x 23.7 cm or smaller
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Regina Grey Nuns' Hospital was founded in 1907 by the Sisters of Charity (Grey Nuns) of St. Boniface, Manitoba. Reverend Sister Mary Duffin, foundress of the new mission in Regina, purchased the Park Sanatorium at 1400 Angus Street, previously owned and operated by Doctors D.S. Johnstone and J.A. Cullum. The School of Nursing was also opened during the inaugural year, with four students graduating in 1909. From 1910 to 1912, the Sisters constructed a new 50-bed hospital on two Dewdney Road lots provided by the City of Regina. The first Nurses' Home was built in 1915. Over the years many additions were made to the buildings, which grew to house the Saskatchewan Cancer Clinic and the Provincial Laboratories. In 1959 the first Medical Director was hired. By the Diamond Anniversary of the Hospital in 1967, bed capacity was at 520 and employees numbered 1076 (including student nurses).By the late 1960's, with the building in need of extensive renovations, the Sisters sought to withdraw from the ownership and management of the hospital. Mr. E. F. Bourassa, first lay Administrator of the Regina Grey Nuns' Hospital, proposed that it should become part of the South Saskatchewan Hospital Centre. The Sisters officially transferred ownership to the Saskatchewan Government on 31 August 1972, and the SSHC Board of Governors assumed control. The Regina Grey Nuns' Hospital was officially renamed Pasqua Hospital on 1 September 1973.
The following have served as Administrator: Eugene F. Bourassa (1967- 1970), Sister F. Dussault (Acting Administrator, 1971-1972).
Scope and content
Fonds consists of minutes of the Medical Advisory Board, Executive Committee, Medical Staff, Lay Advisory Board, Staff, and hospital committees; building specifications for the Saskatchewan Cancer Clinic; provincial salary and wage surveys; correspondence regarding land exchange between the hospital and the City of Regina; portraits of physicians who served at the Regina Grey Nuns' Hospital; financial records; and audio reels on the subject of paediatrics used for continuing medical education. Agencies and businesses that appear in the records include the Saskatchewan Department of Public Health, Division of Laboratories; Saskatchewan Cancer Clinic and the Saskatchewan Cancer Commission; Department of Labour; the TB League; W.G. Van Edmond and Stan E. Storey, Architects; and the Regina Grey Nuns' Hospital School of Nursing.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
A small quantity of records, which contains personal information regarding patients, is restricted according to provincial legislation and Regina Qu'Appelle Health Region policy.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Copyright restrictions apply to photographs.
Box list available. Item level descriptions of photographs are available on the Photograph Database
Related material: Other records relating to the Regina Grey Nuns' Hospital may be found in the Pasqua Hospital fonds, the Regina Grey Nuns' Hospital School of Nursing fonds, the South Saskatchewan Hospital Centre fonds, and the Regina Health District fonds.
Associated material: Other records of the Grey Nuns' Hospital may be found in the Archives des Soeurs Grises, St. Boniface, Manitoba
No further accruals are expected
Accessions 1999.6, 1999.10, and 1999.73