Item YJ0015 - Yorkton's First Grist Mill

Original Digital object not accessible

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Yorkton's First Grist Mill

General material designation

  • Graphic material

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description


Reference code


Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area


  • 1947 (Creation)
    Yorkton (Sask.)

Physical description area

Physical description

1 photograph ; b&w : 9 x 12 cm

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Custodial history

Scope and content

Old timers and others standing on the mill foundation in 1947

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition


Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials


General note

One the opposite page is shown “Yorkton’s First Grist Mill”. It was built by the York Famers’ Colonization Company in 1884 on the east bank of the small river which flows by west of Old Yorkton. The construction of the mill at that time did two things; it provid-work and wages and put new money into circulation and provided a local source of flour, both of which were always in short supply. It eliminated long hard journeys, sometimes to Fort Ellice at the confluence of the Assiniboine and Qu’Appelle rivers, a distance of 100 miles and later to Whitewood when the railroad reached that point. The heavy machinery and other mill equipment was hauled from Whitewood over prairie trails not suitable for heavy loads. A most difficult task.
The mill operated for a few years due to the early arrival of the railroad at Saltcoats in 1888 and at the new townsite of Yorkton in 1890, when flour became readily available from outside points and in addition probably better refined or milled flour.
The picture above shows the foundation is the last remaining land mark indicating the location of the original townsite of Yorkton.
Old timers and others standing on the mill foundation in 1947 are, from the left; D. Arnett, Miss Pauline Summers, F. O. Langstaff, D. Fergus, W. H. Wilkinson, H. M. Jackson, H. M. Bailey, Mayor Chas. A. Peaker, Geo. Parsons, Frank Collacott, Miss Ruth Beck, next two not known the Frank meyer and J. E. Hockley.
Photo by Cliff Shaw.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Digital object (Master) rights area

Digital object (Reference) rights area

Digital object (Thumbnail) rights area

Accession area

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres