Title and statement of responsibility area
Abernethy Presbytery fonds
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Variations in title: Previously identified as Abernethy Presbytery sub-series (A.381.XI.D.1).
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- United Church of Canada Abernethy-Yorkton Presbytery
- United Church of Canada Abernethy Presbytery
- Presbyterian Church in Canada Abernethy Presbytery
- Records pre-date the United Church of Canada (1925)
Physical description area
13.5 cm of textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Name of creator
Abernethy Presbytery was one of the original 16 presbyteries established by the first General Council of the United Church of Canada (June 1925), to be part of the new Saskatchewan Conference. Initial boundaries were based on the previous Abernethy Presbytery, which had been part of the Presbyterian Synod of Saskatchewan.
In 1953, the pastoral charges in Abernethy Presbytery were divided and moved to other presbyteries: Nokomis Pastoral Charge was added to Saskatoon Presbytery; other charges located west of Highway 35 were reassigned to Regina Presbytery; and the charges east of Highway 35 were moved to Yorkton Presbytery, which was re-named Abernethy-Yorkton Presbytery.
Name of creator
Abernethy-Yorkton Presbytery was created in 1953, through the merging of Yorkton Presbytery and part of Abernethy Presbytery (east of Highway 35). In 1956, Abernethy-Yorkton amalgamated with Kamsack Presbytery and the resulting body returned to the earlier name, Yorkton Presbytery.
Most records in the fonds were likely transferred to the archives between 1925 and 1986. Their original provenance is unclear, though administrative and committee records may have come directly from presbytery secretaries, committee members, delegates or other associated individuals.
Scope and content
The fonds consists of textual materials generated by the Presbytery, its secretaries, committees and related bodies, in fulfillment of their responsibilities, as outlined in the Manual of the United Church of Canada.
Contents include meeting minutes (1922-1953), correspondence and a history of the presbytery, as well as documents relating to the Abernethy West End Ministerial Association.
Immediate source of acquisition
Original order for many of these records is unclear. Items listed under A.381.XI.D.1, were arranged sometime before 1990.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Microfilm copy of some records available for viewing at the Provincial Archives of Saskatchewan (microfilm reference number R.10).
Restrictions on access
Some records may be restricted, to protect personal information.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Use, publication, and/or reproduction of records are subject to the conditions of the Copyright Act. Please consult archivist for assistance.
GS-168 includes original file and series listings, in sections XI.D.1 and A.923.SA.2097. Additional microfilm contents listed in finding aid IR-12.
Uploaded finding aid
Digital copies of select documents are also held by the National Centre for Truth and Reconciliation (NCTR), in Winnipeg, Manitoba.
No further additions to this collection are expected.